Sweet and Spicy Rosemary Nuts
SWEET AND SPICY ROSEMARY NUTS
- 4 cups (500-600g) blanched hazelnuts and/or almonds or other mild flavoured nuts
- 1 egg white
- ⅓ c (65g) white sugar
- 1 Tbsp salt I mix smoked sea salt with regular sea salt
- 2-3 Tbsp your favourite hot sauce Crystal, Tabasco, Cholula etc – pick your poison
- 6-8 Rosemary sprigs leaves removed and finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 350F/180C/160C fan
- Line large roasting pan with tin foil
- In large bowl, whisk together egg white, sugar, salt, hot sauce and rosemary
- Add nuts and toss to coat
- Spread nuts in roasting pan and bake 30 minutes, stirring every 10
- Cool completely and break apart
- Don’t worry if the rosemary seems to sink to the bottom of the roasting pan, it won’t stay there long, as the egg coating cooks, when you stir the nuts, you’ll find it starts sticking.
- Egg is involved so it continues to cook after you take it out of the oven. These nuts will brown up (and make fun crackling noises) before your eyes as they cool.
This was part of the Vegetarian Thanksgiving class instructed by Allyson Lara at L’Academie de Cuisine (RIP) in Bethesda Maryland. It might be my favourite dish from the class menu. There’s a couple dishes from that class that I have made since.
These are so good, and easy to make that I might start giving jars of them at Christmas.