Curried Roasted Carrot Dip
Curried Roasted Carroted Dip
For the Roasting Pan
- 450 g (1 lb) carrots cut into ½ chunks
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tsp olive oil
- ¼ tsp salt
For the Dip
- 40 g (¼ cup) roasted sunflower seeds if you have raw on hand toast with cumin seeds, if already salted, adjust salt in recipe
- ½ tsp cumin seeds heaping
- ½ tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1-2 Tbsp Water (as need for consistency)
- 1 tsp olive oil extra virgin will add to flavour.
Roast the Carrots
- Preheat oven to 400F/200C/180C fan
- Cut carrots into 1/2 inch thick chunks, toss with olive oil and salt and garlic cloves and spread out in a roasting tin.
- Roast in the oven until the carrots are tender and lightly browned around the edges 20-40 min (start checking around 20 minutes and stir around from time to time)
- Remove from oven and let cool slightly (until warm to the touch)
While that's happening
- Dry toast the cumin seeds over low/medium heat until browned and fragrant grind in a spice grinder or with a mortar and pestle.
- If raw, toss sunflower seeds in the same pan until fragrant.
Make the dip
- Put sunflower seeds in blender or food processor and pulse until they are crumbs.
- Add roasted carrot mixture, cumin, raw garlic, curry powder, 1 tsp olive oil, and lemon juice. Pulse until smooth, scrape down the sides from time to time.
- Taste and adjust salt, spices, lemon juice, and water.
- aaaaaaand done.
- Great as a dip (crackers, breadsticks, raw veg) but also great as a spread for sandwhiches.
- Imagine if you will:
- Sourdough Bread
- a healthy layer of this diip
- some toasted pumpkin seeds sprinkled on top
- a couple shreds/strips of beet(root)
- Next time I plan to parboil the carrots – boil 3 minutes, then roast as above, it should require less time in the oven.
This is a take on Isa Chandra Moskowitz’s Curried Carrot Dip in Veganomicon. We made it and liked it, found it handy, nice to help thin down a “cheesy snack” but wondered – what if we roasted the carrots? Then we never got around to it.
Fast forward, lockdown, and I’m craving a lighter lunch and remembering my cheeky take aways from Lovecrumbs when I worked in CodeBase. They had open face sandwiches with hummus or a vegetable spread and garnishes on the menu (and… grilled cheese with your choice of add ons… something coming soon). Perfect time to give roasted carrots in the curried carrot dip a go.
Lovely on sourdough toast, possibly with something like pumpkin seeds – maybe a couple cheeky feta crumbs? (sorry Isa… I tried). I think I used to eat this on toast, over cream cheese… nom. Today I had it with seeds and chunks of garlic and herb boursin as a side to soup.
Feedback was that roasting the garlic made it too much of a sunday roast flavour – so feel free to omit the roasted cloves but keep the raw ones.