- 1 cup (200g) Granulated Sugar
- 1/4 tsp Lemon Extract (I used 1/2 – it's oil based instead of alcohol based and doesn't smell as strong)
- 2 drops red or intense pink food colouring
- Put lemon extract and sugar in a jar (I love an empty Bonne Maman jam jar!) and shake vigorously.
- If making various sugar colours – divvy flavoured sugar up into separate jars, add food colouring and shake, adding more colour if desired.
- this can be done with any flavour of your choice, don’t just stick to lemon. The original was called “Princess Sugar” and is lemon flavoured, I suspect the class instructor has at least one daughter and this was a family favourite.
- If you’re planning to use this on sugar cookies, I would put this on the cookies after baking, sprinkled over non-flavoured or a complimentary flavoured glaze? The flavour didn’t survive the oven, I think it’s there, or my mind is playing tricks on me. It should be stated, I was using oil based extract, at 2x the ratio to sugar here – it could be that the oil based stuff just isn’t up to the task. It’s great for post or non-baked applications.
I have childhood memories of being handed a small pyrex bowl with white sugar and a couple drops of food colouring in it and a spoon. It was my job to mix the colour evenly in the sugar for our holiday sugar cookies. I can not stress enough how much faster and easier this task is with a small jar – old mustard or jam jars – a tiny old mayo jar? PERFECT. Do not discard, mix the sugar, and ready to store for the next time needed all in one vessel, no washing up (today).