Chocolate Chia Pudding
- 1 cup yogurt type substance traditional Dairy, or non-Dairy of your choice
- 1 cup milk type substance cow's, oat, almond, coconut or otherwise
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp instant coffee powder espresso is ideal, but coffee works.
- 1 pinch salt
- 1-2 tbsp honey or maple syrup or any sweetener syrup to taste (see variations in notes for more ideas)
- 25 g (¼ cup) cocoa powder
- 40 g (¼ cup) chia seeds
- Mix the powdered coffee and milk add yogurt, salt and vanilla extract, add honey or sweetener to taste. Whisk until smooth.
- Put cocoa powder and instant coffee in a second bowl, add a little of the liquid mixture and mix to a paste, then add the rest of the liquid and whisk in the chia seeds.
- Let stand covered for ½ hour or so give another extra stir or whisk to make sure the seeds aren't clumping before moving to fridge.
– add ground cardamom and/or cinnamon
– garnish with fresh or frozen berries
– sweeten with a coffee flavouring syrup – for example hazelnut, salted caramel, lots of good options.
This is inspired by a dessert that I used to pick up at Pret A Manger – I did some sleuthing around the internet a couple years ago and cobbled this together from other recipes I found. You could go full vegan by substituting a plant based sweetener, I’d go with a syrup like maple syrup or agave so that you’re not worrying about a grain sugar dissolving.